Friday 6 May 2022

This one - (Numurkah!)






On Northern way, beneath the sunny blue

sky, with a hint of clouds around the edge,

I walked Numurkah Road, to see it through

to small Katunga, then Strathmerton pledged


to keep a bed for me, in Motor Inn.

Their cleaning lady kindly took my bag

& pack ahead, Numurkah's where she's bin

last night, where I had slowed down, with "walk-lag".


The friendly folk at breaky, and hotel

the night before, and at the hardware shop,

helped me explore, and think some more, to dwell

on what  I'll need to make it to the top.






And Geof, I met (whose ukuleles trail),

has cycled round Australia himself.

He didn't preach, but helped to teach: "Assail-

ing tasks like this; Beware, lest you lose health!"


A coffee came, from Bake-er-y, with pies;

then one from place with toilet down the road,

not wanting then to litter (I despise

that irresponsibility), I slowed,


and caref'lly placed the cup where it won't fall

beneath the bird, above the "Moira"

 word,

just holding out the sign, behind the wall;

I hope that doesn't seem too bad, absurd!


I hope it does the job of keeping taut

the sign, & helps this little place to shine

for as a gratefull walker who has sought

to bring a blessing. This one .. will be mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment