Friday 6 May 2022

Nathalia to Numurkah

Friday 6 May 2022


Some early morning reflections (see the post below). Then I set my alarm for 6:30am ( but now know that i didn't hit SAVE - rats!), when I woke and checked the time it was 7am!


The Bakery had said yesterday that they could drop my bag off in Numurkah if i was there about 7-7:15 (the truck was scheduled to leave at 7:30am). It was 7:30 as I walked out the door.


When i got there, no big truck. A bystander told me it had just left! I went in, a little bit dejected, still trusting that loving design would take care of things (though I had been invited to join in a.m.a.p.). I asked the lady behind the counter if they had any other vehicles going over that way, & she said I'd have to talk to David, which I did. He said yup, about 10am he'd drop them at their shop in Numurkah, though it closes at 3pm. He'd leave it in a prearranged spot! Cool!


I bought a coffee and 2 pies, rang Numurkah re. accomodation. One said "Yes"; then "No, sorry, it was booked out overnight, online." I walked past the Hotel i was welcomed at the night before..

.



on my way back to the motel to get my waterbottle & hat, deciding to ring the other motel or caravan park at Numurkah as i walk today..


Eek, will I need a coat today? It does seem pretty cool. I left my coat and two ponchos in my bag.


My dad rang while I finished a cuppa at the motel, and I talked with him for an hour and a half, as I walked. Soon after 10:30am I thought to try the Telegraph Hotel in Numurka  again, to see if they had a bed. They answered and said.. "Well, we didn't; but someone just rang up and cancelled. So now we do!" I booked it.


A lady just stopped her hybrid car and offered to drive me to Numurkah. I thanked her for stopping, but said I'm walking, towards Cape York. And thanked her again for stopping. There are a lot of thoughtful people out there. 


Another person just checked that I was ok.

Every day has a slightly different scenery, and different audience:

.


I did stop in some sunshine with my legs against an electricity pole for half an hour, but other than that, there was a very cool wind, and I had to walk or jog to keep warm enough. So, I got in early - before 3:15pm, picked up my bags from the coffee shop/ Bakery:


.

and checked into a room in the Telegraph. Had a drink and chatted to a local, and the lady who looks like she's a part owner.

Went upstairs, had a hot shower and rested my feet up, had some phone calls, worked on this post, booked a room for tomorrow night, and had a look at the provenance of a book written my a "Mark" in the first first Century C.E., and rested till 7pm. 


Went downstairs, ordered a lovely steak and veg, and tried to make a card for calling. 

Finished up by about 10pm and off to bed…


Interesting options for tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment