Saturday 15 June 2024

Day 12 - from Bymount to Injune

 


Craig, true to his word was out there at 6:30-ish am, and we loaded the trolley onto his trailer. The thought is that he will hopefully be ok to get the trolley out on his own from the trailer, but it may not have been so easy from the ute tray. Then I walked off about 7:10am to do the 27km without the trolley.

He passed me 20 min later…


… heading in to have Sat breaky at the Injune cafe, with its famous breakies (along with another local principal every 2nd week). How good. And how glad am I.!


There have been a number of slow climbs, but rounding another slight hill, I could hardly be more surprised by a sign than this one:

The sign was a metre above the road, so I climbed up with it to make sure I got the whole 446 metres above sea level.. I’ve got to look at where this Great Dividing Range goes… I thought is was almost  along the East Coast, but now I do recall it circling in a bit at times… 


On we go, little signs of progress along the way..










My feet are starting to feel like a break.. but it’s only 8:30.






I think I need to do at least 2 hrs before I put them up for a bit..












This is a good time to respond to the gifts of the sun, and the shade, and the breeze and the trees and the land, and bodies…












This is a good time now to look and see

What things are good in this old world ‘round me 

and somehow then respond, acknowledge we 

walk in a country unbelievably 


well, beautiful, abounding in all things.

Each human who's a steward gladly sings 

the praises of its bounty and its lore,

and new songs with the ones that came before.


In languages diverse we lift our voice 

and then we make a song that is our choice 

to be the country’s gods, who for it speak

of goodness that is seen, though sometimes weak..



But saddest thing of all is what’s in us

and sometimes what is not, with not much fuss 

we have these gaping holes where loyal love 

has shrunk away, with no source from above 


to keep in-filling, so like Cheese of Swiss

we are quite holey, but in ways amiss

for humans made to take good care, & tend

the land, and living things, and help to mend


from damage that is taken, & distress

that comes it's way, & leaves it in a mess.

We were to be the helping guiding ones,

to manifest Biame. Daughters, sons.


So to creative love whose influence

I’ve seen around about, at times intense,

I now lift up this self, and where it spends 

it's time and focus. Now I'm who it sends.






At 17km from Injune, I come to the Gunnewin siding. In commemoration of the old railway line (and siding on it) that must have gone though here in days gone by.

Photos of young mates, somehow puts things in perspective and reminds me how short our lives are in this scene.


Not much left now, around here. Unless mateship, and those who participate are owned by creative love and as such are gifted permanence.


Wonderfully, they have retained a tank with lovely tank water (that could be boiled if one had a problem with drinking it unboiled as Alan Dingwell & Frank Walsh in the photo above surely did). 

Good on you people who put up this monument at Gunnewin:



..



~10:30 on the road again:
But...



Just before I got going Pip Johnson, popped round to say G’day. After 20 min, of talking about the grasses, and cattle breeds, as he left, he said “‘or-right, I gotta go.” Then he didn’t ask, he threw out enough cash to buy a burger, and said “Get ya’self a burger”. I said '`or-right, I will; & I’ll say ‘This is shouted to me by Pip Johnson!’ ” And I picked it up. Thanks Pip.





Walking again by ~11am..


Warm sun, maybe 17°C, very light occasional cool breeze, rustling of leaves make sounds and boughs groaning slightly every now and then. Lead to song-, poetry-, and occasionally play- wrighting, either side of answering a phone call from an old mate from Rockhampton (Rocky).


At ~12:30, on seeing a suggesting of resting …

I retire to a shady spot just off the road a bit (for an hour)… and some more of that light & shade under a poa tree

1:40pm



After an hour, it’s about time to be

“on the road again..” (is that Slim?; no, it’s Willie Nelson). Walking, walking... Till ~12:40pm when I put my feet up again... Under another tree...



1:40pm last 10 km…

Well, as I was about to get up, my youngest child gave me a ring from Newcastle & we talked for 25 min. A great catch-up, & helped me get my mind off just walking, a lovely gift. She is doing her prac for Primary teaching. A pretty tough gig, from my experience in Secondary teaching. Good on you R-bell!, and made it into town, collected my trolley from Karen’s house, where Craig had dropped it for me. Thanks Karen for a place to stow it for today. I got in around 5:10pm


Then walked to the pub, got there around 5:30pm, had a drink while I waited for dinner time at 6pm. Sat out the front,cbeside a John Walker whose family came from Nambour in Qld, where I think my Grand-dad’s family might come from too. Had a go at drawing him. A bit of fun. Then got my room key and ordered dinner. 


See how we go tonight!






No comments:

Post a Comment