Thursday 18 July 2024

WalkingDay 38 (Wed, 17 July 2024CE; 152km - 120km from Charters Towers)

 



WalkingDay 38 (Wed, 17 July 2024CE; 152km - 120km from Charters Towers)



Up about 6:30am stayed in sleeping bag going over Get Real, to get it into me. Then up, 

Waved goodbye to the two caravans nearby about 7:15am, packed, fixed towing chain (old zip tie had broken), & sign that was coming apart (black tape was coming away from laminated sign), ran out of sticky tape, cereal packet tore, etc


On the road by ~8:05am.



Let’s sing!


One of the truck drivers from upcoming roadworks kindly stops & let's me know what’s coming up


Then I walked through one lot of road works, with a chaperone vehicle behind me while I went flat chat through the stop light section, (and at the end, they let me use their moveable toilet while I was passing). Thanks fellows. (That running got me through even quicker than I would have gone through that valley)


Talked on the phone to family for 20 min. Lovely.


About 2 or 3 km further on, at the second lot of road works with traffic lights that went for ~1.5km, I was allowed to go through off the road, on one side, then the other so the traffic didn’t have to all wait for me.12:26pm I arrived there & met Ali Abdulkhani from Melbourne,

but in Townsville since 2019, working with Main Roads, (staying while working at BCR), originally from Iran. Thanks for your friendliness & willingness to think outside the box.


Walked through and had a break in the shade under flowering wattle

 after doing 14 km with a heavy water laden trolley (1:15pm - 2:14pm).




On the phone to family & friends. Then walked in the moonlight till 8pm, Another trucker stopped to check I was ok. (Didn’t need water etc) and then another Asian driver did the same. Got to this sign, where I camped. Then checked blog and off to sleep.






John & Mary Sefton (my old friends I stayed with in Emerald will see if some relations in CT can work out a lift to a church on Sunday from where-ever I get to Saturday night. That would be good. Doesn’t really matter which one. I'm really appreciating the gems I meet there who are trying to recall this creative love regularly.



No comments:

Post a Comment