Tuesday 9 July 2024

Day 30 Tue9/7/24) from car pull off area 157km from BCT to 131km from BCT



Starting about 8am on the road:



Josh dropped me off where he picked me up from yesterday, then headed back to take the kids to school. Unbelievable, fog this morning.



Thanks Josh & Lauren. Thanks kids too for having me in your home. A pity that BoJo (& his Dad) beat me in Splendor last night. We’ll have to play again.


Around 9 am morning tea is delivered… Water, yoghurt, sandwiches, hydralite….








Scotty, shared his rations to get home to Charters Towers after work in Emerald. .

Thanks mate!!! Thanks too, to creative friendship and comeraderie that can organise things like that!


Might lose reception soon…




Might lose reception soon…


12:30-1:30 break with feet up at 145km from Balyando Crossing Truckstop (BCT).

This arvo I had a great time listening to a newish translation of the Hebrew Bible by a scholar named Robert Altar: Psalm 91-150 & the book of Proverbs.. Almost finished another modern book too. A fun way to think and hear, & look at the world at the same time. If someone looks like they’re about to stop to talk, I’ve got to make sure I stop the audio before they stop. 


Just before sunset, a ute pulled up and a fellow jumped out and handed me a cold can of thirst quenching amber liquid. Beautiful. Other vehicles were coming both ways, so he was quick, & I didn't even catch his name, but thanks bloke. How looked after am I? Thanks too creative love, for angels like these.. 

About sunset Bryson (with his dog sutting beside him) pulled his ute up in front of me, said he’d seen me on his way to the farm this morning. Now he was heading back into Clermont he asked me what I was doing, & if I was doing it for a cause, & I told him that I was sponsoring MOVEmber (helping with Prostate cancer & Men’s mental health) & The Bible Society; both of which I thought were often ignored/overlooked till it was too late. He wanted to give me what he could, some bickies, two cans of tuna & a can of baked beans. I said that would be my dinner (it was lovely too).




We talked a bit about where I’d slept last night, & where to camp tonight. Thanks for your advice Bryson. It meant that I walked on in the twilight for a few more km (with a flashing head torch on).. 


And made it to this sign (which seems to cut 5 or 10 km off the Google maps distance, which says ~130km, so I think it’s wrong, but it would be great if it was right..)





Good night!



No comments:

Post a Comment