Wednesday 24 July 2024

Rest Day in Charters Towers

Wed, 24/7 (with a date like that, it is likely to be flat-chat, eh?)


What an amazing young family has taken me in. The old family friends in Emerald whom I stayed with (Mary & John) are their grandparents, & asked about their shed housing my trolley while I'm having a medical check, and seeing how the family is going in Orange (NSW). They said yes, but went further  yesterday a with a hot shower, lovely dinner last night, warm bed, washing done, breaky this morning. This morning after some breaky:


Thanks so much Em. & Trav. Thanks too to the underlying friendship and family connections that make life on Earth so homely, but also exciting & challenging.


Jesse, (who checked in on me back in between Eumamurrin & Bymount (11 days out of St.George), and gave me some water…) is visiting Charters Towers (& his business here) today (from Townsville). It will be good to see that friendly face again.. (& he has kept contact via texts over the last month)


The plan we sorted last night, is that Jesse will drop by & take me to a cattle sale this morning before 8:30am, & we might see some of his block too. Thanks Jesse for taking time to slow & share life with a “stranger”. Reminds me of every parent who welcomes the little strangers who are their children, & reminds me of the one whose home we all now live in, who has welcomed us “strangers”. Looking forward to a day “out and about” Charters. 


Might get some drawings in, and help grow awareness of the issues & groups  I am sponsoring. Often people (especially blokes) are ignorant of them - for too long: prostate cancer, & Men’s mental health [Movember]; & the underlying narrative that used to help the Western world make sense & see purpose in the chaos of life (but which has now been overlooked because of what it deals with, and assumed therefore to be irrelevant) [The Bible Society]. I hope so.


(Click on QR codes at the bottom of this page, if you want to get involved with me in any of these endeavors.)

 


FIDDLIN’ RIDDLIN’



Q 01: What is the difference between “being presented”, & “being resented” ?







.


Wow, what an education? I went with Jesse to the Charters Towers’ Sale Yards. We watched what things were going for. Stopped and talked to a dozen people, some of which recognised me from the last few weeks of walking. Bought a pie and coffee, & talked some more… 

Then Jesse took me 

to see an old track from a century ago,



which continues 



out to Mt. Isa. We had a squiz at some of his cattle on agistment..



& some housing developments he is undertaking. Wow. Another world. What fun. Thanks for a lovely day around cattle and developing the land here, Jesse. Good on you for sharing your life with this stranger.


Home to Travis & Emily’s, pack trolley, shower, have Charters Towers famous Red Rooster, “Rooster Feed”, play the question game, read a reflective poem  together. 



Tomorrow, up around 6am, and Glenn will collect me after 6:30am.


No comments:

Post a Comment