Monday 23 September 2013

Way ta go

Well, that car trip from Dubbo to Blaxland was a wonderful help in thinking through what I'm going to do with catching stories... of "ah ha" moments, from complete strangers, or maybe I should think of them as "new friends".

Who should my driver be from Dubbo to Blaxland, but a fellow trained as a sports reporter(, but  who loved sport too much to stay a "reporter of other people's experiences of sport"). He helped me see that

. I'll have to try early on to sort the wheat from the chaff. Sometimes that's hard & I'll make some blunders. Look out for the glint of gold. Only take notes on, or try to record, the best.

. Ask for people's help in my task of looking for & recording those ah ha moments (or moments that communicate  faith, hope, & help).

. Then, tell them a story or two that have happened to me, or others who have told me theirs, to give the flavour & help folk see what I'm on the hunt for (which is otherwise going to be pretty hard to explain.

. Listen to what they offer me, carefully.

. When I hear something great, or see something golden, ask them for permission to record them telling that story, & or ask if it is ok if I use your real first name in telling this story? Else I could use an alias.

. Be willing to go over the stories, even after the trip, and polish them to something like a triple j hack, a feature or general-interest news story, with a narrator helping the story move along, and snippets told by the other speaker.

All sounds a bit familiar and consistent to my hero's methodology:
Quick to listen, slow & respectful in speech, look for good to affirm, tell stories as a main method in his communication & interpretation etc. Still more to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment