Friday 31 May 2024

Learnings: List A - Attitude




I’m learning to be, as those proverbs say,

and as Yeshua’s little brother saw

within the life of his big bro. each day:

a movement style, a manner that is more


or less a change in movement, thus it shows

a kind of stance, or attitude of heart;

it goes against my culture, which just “knows”

a better way, or better ways to start


in these same habits of the mind, and will, 

and then of body too, and soul-ish stuff,

for what I pick up from my culture’s sill -

what's left to cool, to take in as enough..


is just about the opposite, I've found

(but that will be affected by such things

as type of personality, that’s bound

to influence what I allow to cling


so tightly to my life, that I become,

and then are known by what grows in my life:

(“the carrot patch” or “pea place” or else some

such designation given not for strife-


sake, but just speaking truth, for clarity,

for understanding, making names that fit).

My habits go the other way, I see:

what he was quick to do; I’m slow at it!


What he took time to come to, just because

there’s much to be considered first, before

I speak a word that either backs what was

considered, or I change things even more.


 …



Notes


Do not answer before you listen, and do not interrupt when another is speaking. (‭Sirach 11:8 NRSVUE‬)

Now listen to me. I will give you counsel, and God be with you! You should represent the people before God and bring their cases to God. (Exodus 18:19 NRSVUE‬)


If one gives answer before hearing, it is folly and shame. (‭Proverbs 18:13 NRSVUE‬)


But Peter said, “Man, I do not know what you are talking about!” At that moment, while he was still speaking, the cock crowed. (‭Luke 22:60 NRSVUE‬)


Then Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will set up three tents here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” [5] While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!” (‭Matthew 17:4-5 NRSVUE‬)


Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him. [39] She had a sister named Mary, who sat at Jesus’s feet and listened to what he was saying. [40] But Martha was distracted by her many tasks, so she came to him and asked, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her, then, to help me.” [41] But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things, [42] but few things are needed—indeed only one. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.” (‭Luke 10:38-42 NRSVUE‬)


You must understand this, my beloved brothers and sisters: let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger, [20] for human anger does not produce God’s righteousness. [21] Therefore rid yourselves of all sordidness and rank growth of wickedness, and welcome with meekness the implanted word that has the power to save your souls. [22]  But be doers of the word and not merely hearers who deceive themselves. [23] For if any are hearers of the word and not doers, they are like those who look at themselves in a mirror; [24] for they look at themselves and, on going away, immediately forget what they were like. [25] But those who look into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and persevere, being not hearers who forget but doers who act—they will be blessed in their doing. [26]  If any think they are religious and do not bridle their tongues but deceive their hearts, their religion is worthless. [27] Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world. (‭James 1:19-27 NRSVUE‬)





No comments:

Post a Comment